Tuesday, November 30, 2010

His Hair Loss and My Pride



Jack has been without significant hair since the beginning of October.  He began losing it in clumps around the time of my 5K.  It was a little scary at first and resulted in a visit to both our pediatrician and then a dermatologist.  Basically he has alopecia and it is temporary.  They don't know what causes it and we just have to wait for his hair to grow back in.  It is starting to, but his hair is so fine and light it's difficult to tell.  It has even caused him to lose his beautiful eyelashes.


He has taken it like a trooper, but it's been hard on Mommy.  I have really had to evaluate my perspective.  I was struggling with being self conscious for him.  I knew it was not that big of a deal.  There were kids out there with ten times worse problems.  But, I still struggled.

God and I had some big discussions.  It took awhile.  But, I realized I just needed to let go of these petty fears and enjoy my son for who God has made him to be.  I had to let go of caring so much about what other people were going to think.  And now, I don't even really notice any more.  I see his humor, energy, joy for life, and loving personality.

He'll have his hair back soon enough, but I know that looking back on it in later years, I can share with him what God taught me through it.

No comments: