Wednesday, July 03, 2013

The idols

My pastor challenged me this week.  Being married to him means when I'm challenged, I can't escape it.  I am the one he talks to when he is working through what he is going to speak on.  I am also the one he asks on Sunday afternoon what I thought about it.

This Sunday, while in Deuteronomy, Kevin spoke on idolatry.  I don't own any little wooden or stone statues.  I haven't bowed down to anything lately.  So, I felt safe.  I'm a Pastor's wife, I mean, come on. What would I being worshiping but God?

Funny how God doesn't let you stay in that thinking for long.

I worship many idols.  It seems the more I think about it the more I see.  God is doing some cleaning out in my life and my trash can is full to overflowing.

I have been made more aware of some of these idols as both kids have been home.  The constancy of their tiffs and fits were driving me to Crazytown  with a one way ticket.  In hopes of finding tips for wrangling siblings, I instead found truth for changing my heart.

I have placed a desire for order above a desire to see their hearts changed.  I have placed peace and quiet as more important than godliness.  I care more about their doing right than their little hearts being right.  I was more concerned about how they looked in public and how it reflected on me than about God's love and grace reflected to them.  Control, Performance, and Image Idols have been placed around my house and I was blind to them.

I also have an idol that comes back into my recycle bin quite often.  It is one that has been a part of me for so long, I am not alway aware that it has come back.  It is my greatest battle.  It is opinion.  The opinions of others drives me far more than I am ever aware.  It has controlled so much of how I live.  In some ways it has made me who I am.  It is not an easy one to kick out.  It is a battle that I can't win.  It is only by God's grace that I can find any way to overcome it.

Today, I am facing them.  I am learning how to become free of them.  Tomorrow it will be another battle.  I just long for my heart to be so filled with God's love, their is no room for anything less.



No comments: