Saturday, October 25, 2008

Busy in the Kitchen

I have been planning out a few homemade treats to use as christmas gifts. Plus, I have needed to get the applesauce done since I had a bushel of apples sitting in bags waiting for me. So, I deemed Wednesday Kitchen Day and got to work.

Here is the start of my hard candy

And the end product...I like the powdered sugar because it adds a little something.

Then on the the applesauce
And all the while this is my little man keeping busy...
no he wasn't near the stove during the hard candy making






I was worn out by the end too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trey loves to take out pots and pans and bang on them with a wooden spoon when I am in the kitchen too - I love it!

Heidi said...

Nice looking candy! I've never worked up the nerve to try...as if I have time anyway = )

I like your food mill. I have my grandma's old Foley. My arms are soooooo sore = ) I'm going to try some apple/cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. We'll see how it works!

akr said...

The candy is sooo simple...I was terrified at first but you basically just have to watch the thermometer. It takes so little ingredients too...corn syrup, sugar, coloring, and flavoring. I just poured it into a lightly greased pan and let it harden and then broke it up. You put powdered sugar on it to keep it from sticking together.

The mill is actually my mom's. I have one of the older ones but she let me borrow hers. It really is nice. All you have to do is 1/4 the apples. So nice!

I was so suprised how easy canning was! I was terrified of that at first but it's not bad at all. I did more freezing than canning this year but next year I'm definitely going to be canning a lot.

the sauce sounds good!