Friday, May 14, 2010

Pruning


We moved into our house in the fall, so we didn't realize how many wonderful flowers and plants the previous owners had planted. To experience the beautiful plants that greeted us in the spring was a wonderful discovery.  One of my favorites was the lilac bush that bloomed right outside our office window.  The smell was intoxicating and the colors were perfect.

However, the next spring, in the midst of dealing with an eight month old and prepping our garden, the lilac bush was neglected.  We still enjoyed the beautiful blooms and wonderful smells, but I noticed quite a few dried blooms left from the year before.  In the back of my mind I knew I needed to trim it but I just didn't get a chance. 

The next spring arrived and in the midst of my first trimester and keeping up with a 22 month old, the lilac bush was the farthest thing from my mind.  It was brown, overgrown and with very little blooms.  I knew what it needed but I neglected it.

At the first signs of spring approached this year, one of my main goals was to tackle the lilac bush.  I had to wait until Daddy could keep an eye on the 2 year old and 2 month old, and I headed out armed with a large pair of pruning shears. 

What I was hoping to be a quick, 10 minute task began to wear me down after only 15 minutes and I knew I was far from done.  It was a meticulous, painstaking process to trim off just the dead branches while still maintaining the future blooms.  I was seeking to gently and carefully trim off the pieces one by one.  My main goal was just to remove the ugly, dead pieces.

I was unable to reach quite a few of the branches and relinquished the pruning shears to my capable husband.  Having to trade off supervision of the children, I headed back inside and was unable to get back out to see the accomplishment until the next day.

Upon first glance, I could not believe it.  It was butchered.  Kevin had really taken it to task and the bush that once seemed to be overtaking our window was now small and neat.  As the weeks have gone by it has begun to bloom better than it has in years, and as I sit and enjoy the beautiful smell, I realize how essential pruning is.

I know God prunes us, I read about it and nod my head and think, "I know, I know".  But, being involved in the process makes me more aware of how painstaking and strategic pruning is.  The purpose is clear as the product is essential for proper growth and development. 

As God continues to do this in my life, so, as a parent am I called to continue to guide and mold the growth of my children.  As I choose to discipline my children, I am pruning...the goal being the godly development of character in their lives.  I must keep this goal in mind in order to discipline them with effectiveness instead of focusing on my comfort and convenience.  The gardener is not comfortable when working, yet he does it with the end goal in mind, and with patience and hard work, the result is a beautiful!

No comments: