Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Sewing New Adventures

Junior High Home Ec Class honestly ruined sewing for me. I decided to make a skirt and picked plaid fabric unaware of the challenge it would be. My overachieving, perfectionist self ended up being so frustrated that sewing was added to my list of things that make me curse and should be avoided.

Since becoming a stay at home mom with two kids, I having been feeling a sense of losing myself in Mommy hood. So, last year I decided to start stretching myself in different ways. The first challenge was taking up running again.

I began to see some easy sewing projects on blogs of various friends of mine, I started to think about the possibility taking up sewing again. I decided this will be my next challenge. I was able to find a GREAT deal on a machine on Black Friday and purchased it to put up as my birthday present.



I remembered being frustrated with threading the machine and was grateful that mine came with video instructions. I found it to be a little frustrating at first but was finally able to complete my first sewing project in years. I found the directions to these baby legs made from knee socks here: http://http://soapaholicsanonymous.blogspot.com/2008/12/babylegs-tutorial.html

I look forward to continuing to hone my skills and try new projects, especially some that I have seen on some of my friends blogs!

2 comments:

SaDeBuque said...

i've always been interested in sewing too, but have never had the time...when we get home and i get my own craft room, i am going to tackle the ancient thing that sits in my moms barn lol....if you want someone to show you how to sew, you should ask gram hayes about her friend jean, im sure she would teach you in a jiffy, shes a pro! :) cant wait to see some of your other projects miss! hows your scrapbooking coming along?

Wendy Appell said...

I Love, love, love to sew! It is very relaxing for me and sew much fun. Making clothes for my kids ( when they were little) was very rewarding & now I LOVE to make quilts!