Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Overwhelmingness of a Dream

I have had a dream for as long as I can remember.  It has been to write a book.  I have folders filled with inspiration about what I want to write about.  I was even able to go to a writer's conference and glean more tools to be able to accomplish this dream.

I'm struggling though.  I have this propensity for freezing up and retreating when I feel overwhelmed.  I have so much I feel like I need to do to become a good writer it has actually resulted in writer's retreat and not the vacation type.  The writer's retreat that comes with not picking up a pen and engaging with my thoughts and ideas.  My folders are all nicely color coded, my desk all set, and yet I have to force myself to sit down and engage.

I realize that I'm getting the cart before the horse so to speak.  I expect myself to have a group, a platform, a fantasic blog, a voice, and so many other things when I just need to write.  Those things will come.  I am still a baby at this.  I need to keep maturing.  I need to focus on the one thing I can do now and that is write.  The other things will come later.

So, I am writing.  I am trying to sit down every day and just write.  I am putting aside all these expectations my perfectionistic first born self tends to weigh itself down with.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Have you read the book The War of Art? It is pretty amazing when it comes to the way you think about your craft.

Do it, Girl!