Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Messes

I have been teaching throught the book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World for our women's Sunday School class. It has been both a huge challange and encouragment. The biggest thing it has challanged me this week is about serving. She shares this:

Duty can pack an adequate sack lunch, but love may decide to enclose a little love note inside…Obligation sends children to bed on time, but love tucks the covers around their necks and passes out kisses and hugs…Duty gets offended quickly if it is not appreciated, but love learns to laugh a lot and to work for the sheer joy of doing it. Obligation can pour a glass of milk, but quite often, love adds a little chocolate. –Linda Andersen Love Adds a Little Chocolate

This was a huge challange to me as sometimes (like any housewife) I feel the frustration of wiping another dirty bottom or cleaning up another messy kitchen and wondering if it will ever end. I got a kick in the pants about what my perspective should be about all of it. I realized that it is not for the glowing recognition and applause of my family that I should be doing this but for the love of my Savoir. Even when my little man has kept me up half the night teething...it gives me time to pray and I am serving the Lord in those things more than singing in church or having a postion on the Ladies Aid.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

We heard a fantastic sermon a few weeks ago from Phillipians 2:14-18. It was about "shining like stars" even in the mundane. At the end they showed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooPU2mdsH4 I still can't stop thinking about it... If you're super curious the message is here: http://www.marshill.org/teaching/