Monday, March 23, 2009

Oh where, Oh where has my sweet little boy gone?


I have really been struggling the last week or so. Jack has always been a busy boy, but all the sudden it seems to have turned into overdrive. He seems to have forgotten what do not touch means when he had been doing so well with it. He is into EVERYTHING. He has even reverted back to banging his head when he's frustrated. It's so hard to know what to do to discipline him. I have tried the hand hit thing when he touches something but now he's starting to hit. At times I have put him in his pack and play when it was really bad but that to him is a play area. My ped. said he's ready for time out but he doesn't sit still at all. I have even taken him outside to run around when it's been nice enough to.
My hardest thing is how it wears on me emotionally. I was completely drained by the end of the day yesterday and I know he hasn't even entered the terrible twos. I know I need God's strength but sometimes in the midst of it, it's hard to remember that. I feel like my impatience and sometimes anger rubs off on him and gets him angry and I hate that, but I also hate having to tell him no about five million things five million times a day. I try to be flexible about what he gets into even and don't make a big deal about a lot of stuff but there is also stuff he can't be in.
I am an elem. education major and I feel at a loss. With older kids you can communicate but i don't always know how to do that with him. Kevin has his plate overfull with church, school, and fire dept. stuff and I feel bad asking for a break. I really am glad we are getting away for a week on Thursday to visit family. Kevin and I are actually going on a date too!
So any discipline advice/ideas...I'm open to suggestions.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Vin was a head-banger too.

Even though it doesn't seem to work, time out in the crib will give you a break, which you need. If he screams, he won't die. You on the other hand, might lose your mind. It might not seem to work, but if you do it consistently enough, he'll figure out Mommy isn't going to be pushed around.

hang in there!

amanda said...

you may have noticed that our Walker is a busy-little man as well.

Breathe in, breathe out. Stay calm. That is my best advice.

the naughty-chair works fairly well here, but I think having the big brother has helped the little one stay put.

Try different things, eventually you will find what 'clicks' for the both of you! (Although Jack might not like it) ;)

amanda

Anonymous said...

March 23rd was Grandma Warner's birthday. I miss her so much. Why did she have to die. I could still be in Carlisle, NY.