Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Flat Ironed Hair and Tears

I haven't had a chance to blog about this til now but I wanted to share, even though it happened over a week ago...

On the way back from visiting my grandparents, I knew Kevin and I needed some time together. I called a friend to schedule babysitting and when I arrived home, talked with Kevin about what day would be good. We finally had a date and time nailed down and babysitting...the anticipation of an actual date with my husband began to build...

As the day arrived, I woke up and mentally scheduled how the day would go...leaving time to actually do my hair and pick out a cute outfit. I spent quite a bit of the day catching up on some cleaning and mentally thinking through what I would wear. As Jack settled down for a nap, I was able to take a shower and begin to get ready. It was nice to be able to take my time putting on my makeup and I even plugged in the flat iron to do my hair.

Unfortunately, the day was very warm and with our air conditioner on I could not hear the fire alarm go off. It was about an hour before we were supposed to leave and I began to wonder if Kevin was going to come home and get ready soon. Instead of a car pulling in the driveway, my cell phone rings...it's Kevin. He tells me to call the babysitter and let them know things are on hold because he is on a fire call. He didn't know how long he would be there or when he would be able to get back.

I unfortunately did not respond well and we ended up hanging up both tense. I was devastated. All the time preparing and anticipation quickly crashed in a cloud of dust. I did the only thing I knew to do...call my mom. Through tears I told her what was happening and ended with..."and I even flat ironed my hair!" My wonderful mom reminded me that I am pregnant and emotional and that my husband was doing a very noble thing, out there saving lives.

As I wiped my tears, hoping that I didn't ruin my makeup too much, I knew she was right. I had selfishly been thinking only of my agenda and going to the worst scenario. I felt guilty for how I reacted to Kevin when he called and realized that I needed to apologize.

In the end, he was able to be home only an hour after we were suppose to leave. After apologies, we headed out for a wonderful date...Red Lobster and car browsing. It was definitely a humbling experience and I am thankful for a Godly mom and a husband and heavenly father who are patient with me.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I think we all have selfish moments like those. I know that I do and my husband isn't out saving lives..he's out working hard to provide for our family. I think God uses moments like these to humble us, show us our true nature, and our full dependence upon him. He still blessed you and that's awesome!