Monday, February 01, 2010

My "Kids"

Before moving to the Adirondacks, I taught Jr. High and High School English at a small Christian school in Cortland. I loved my job not just because I loved teaching, but because I loved the students I taught. That is not to say I did not get frustrated with them sometimes but I really invested in them.

I don't think I was just teaching them English that created this closeness. I was able to teach Bible and it was one of my true joys. I was able to really share my heart with them and challenge and encourage them in their relationships with God.

I also had an open door and would find my lunch time filled with chats with different individuals. It was an honor to me that they would share their lives and open up to me about their struggles. I was both humbled and encouraged by these times.

Kevin and also had the opportunity to chaperon the Senior Trip and ended up being adopted as Mom and Dad by the students. We had so much fun with them and it is something I will never forget!

Through all of these opportunities I became attached to these "kids". The unique part of all of this is the opportunity I have had to connect with some of them here it the blog world. It has blessed my heart so much to see how God has worked in their lives and where He is leading them. My heart feels like it is going to burst as I continue to be blessed by them.

God has made me to be one of those big hearted people who will always carry in my heart the people I have come to love....and you all are in my heart.

2 comments:

Kayli said...

AMY! MOM! You're in my heart too! I loved taking english & bible under you. Do you know that you are the reason I decided to pursue my career in writing? You encouraged me & showed my that I had talent. I loved our talks during lunch periods & study halls. I loved our talks after I graduated high school & came to visit you. Our times at dunkin donuts or me bringing dunkin donuts to you lol. The senior trip was AMAZING. I could not have asked for better sr trip advisors I thought our sr trip was awesome & you guys were a part of that. Although I will never be able to sing holiness the same way again. You influenced my life so greatly Amy that its hard to put into words. I know that you guys are meant to be in the Adirondacks & that is where God wants you, but I was crushed when you moved & still miss you as my mentor in all aspects of life to this day.
i love you mom!

akr said...

love u 2!