I often feel like there are so many things I know a little bit about but now much I really know enough about to pontificate in a deeply knowledgable way about on my blog. But, there is one thing I know quite a bit about. I would actually say that I have a vast amount of experience in it. Unfortunately this topic is not only taboo but mostly swept under the carpet or hidden behind closed doors. In some circles it may even be looked upon as unspiritual. But, it's something a lot of people will struggle with in some way or another. Yet, there often is no voice for it. It's a silent and dark battle called depression.
I am not a certified counselor or therapist. I am not going to get into all of the clinical issues. I am only going to talk about my experiences because I feel like there are many out there who struggle and have no one to be a voice for what it feels like. I want to open the door to conversation and allow people the freedom to begin to openly talk about it.
Obviously there are varying degrees of depression and there are times to seek professional help. There are also people who are more prone to it than others. However, sometimes you just hit a funk, a dark place, a down time, whatever you want to label it. In those times it is hard to give voice to what we are feeling because it isn't talked about. Maybe there is a fear that people will think we are unspiritual or even loony. But, then you read the Psalms and you see David, a man after God's own heart, giving a voice to what goes on inside our hearts when we feel this way. Maybe we're not so unspiritual after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment