Monday, January 09, 2012

What if Small is Great

How often have I heard about doing great things for God.  I feel as if the necessity of greatness, fame, and popularity that so inundates our culture has seeped into the modern Christian world in the form of doing great things for God and being all that we can be for him.  I feel as if I spend so much of my time looking for those great and wonderful things that have an incredible impact on the world.


I began to wonder if I was missing something.  Why can't I find this elusive greatness?  Then I remembered a poem my Dad often shared with his staff called Ordinary Days.  Life is filled with ordinary days.  It reminded me that God talks about being the servant of all, doing things unto the least of these, and humbling myself.


What if it's the small things that truly are the great things?  What if scrubbing my kitchen floor or changing  a dirty diaper are the great things?  What if taking a few moments to teach my children to pray or  how to resolve a conflict is the greatest thing I could do that day?  What if I am missing all the great small things  because I am too busy looking for large and mighty monumental events.  What small things am I investing in today?



No comments: