Thursday, April 18, 2013

An Experiment, A Discovery, and A Surprising Outcome

I found a great way to make a worn, aged look!  If you want to see the steps and skip the story, scroll down under the picture.


It was the first sunny, warm day in the Adirondack's and I was itching to be outside as much as possible.  I also had been waiting to get some projects done that required such a day.  So, armed with my can of black spray paint I forged ahead.

After revitalizing a file cabinet, star, and step stool I began to think of what other things in my home needed some touch up.  I remembered the kids Adirondack chair.  It was given to us in the raw and had been decorated with a multitude of crayons and I had been itching to paint it.  

I pulled out some green acrylic paint hoping to at least get a good coat on it and then poly it.  So, me and my faithful sponge brush went to work, only to discover after the chair was partially covered that I did not have enough paint. 

At this time I could have waited to finish until we went shopping again but I knew that wouldn't be until next week (yes, a "perk" of living in the Adirondack's - shopping is usually on a once a week basis to the "big city").  I do not have that kind of patience.  I just wanted to get this sucker done at this point.

My wheels started turning as I scoured the garage for any cans of spray paint (being that my black was now gone).  I happened upon two without lids and tested them out.  One was a bright blue that I wanted to avoid but the other was a bright red.  I wasn't completely thrilled about the color but desperate times call for desperate measures, and my son's room is a firefighter theme so red does seem appropriate.

I began spraying hoping that the red would cover up my desperate attempt at painting it green.  However, as I sprayed I began to see the green coming through more as a dark, aged look.  I had accidentally stumbled upon a look that I had drooled over at Hobby Lobby on some super cute furniture.  I also liked how the varied thickness of the spray paint added some more character to it.

I guess that's why it's sometimes worth taking a risk because you might discover something unexpected.

So here is how I did it:


  1. You'll need: Pine Green acrylic paint, A sponge brush, and a can of red spray paint.
  2. Start by sponge painting a very thin and not fully covered layer of green paint.  (Thin enough that it almost dries automatically).  You don't want it to completely cover every inch.
  3. Spray the chair with a light coat of red paint, again NOT covering every inch with consistent coverage so that it gives it an aged finish.

No comments: