Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Crucifying

I really tried to be intentional this year about Easter and reflecting on Christ's death and resurrection.  As I continued to think through the powerful image that the cross is, I continue to come across scriptures that use the same imagery.


  1. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.  Galatians 5:24 NLT
  2. For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified.  1 Corinthians 2:2 NLT
  3. We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. Romans 6:6 NLT
  4. My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20 NLT
  5. As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world’s interest in me has also died. Galatians 6:14 NLT

It's personal.  The cross, the crucifixion, it applies to me today.  It is to be a constant reality in my life.  That sin that Christ died for isn't just my sin that condemns me to hell.  It is my daily sin that seeks to control me.  

When I allow that sin to have a hold on me again, what am I saying about the cross?  When I live in fear and condemnation what does that say about his sacrifice?  When i choose something over him who died for me, what value to I place on his suffering?

My sin is on that cross.  

No comments: