I know this is quite a random topic but it really has got me going...you see, I come from a home where my mother can create this huge spread for whoever happens to be there and seems to pull it out of thin air and know how to do it perfectly.
Then there's me...am I really her child...this makes me question it. There came a point growing up that i had screwed up a few things enough to become the family joke and so college resulted in me avoiding the waffle maker out of fear. I actually had a friend walk me through it the first time.
So, living on my own I can do whatever so I do...pasta is easy and I always have the pizza recipe mom gave me that is a fall back on whenever someone is over. But, then comes marriage to a guy that cooks better than I do...so, food network became my best friend and I pick up some good tips and was educated on all sorts of stuff.
However, when one is working full time and traveling on the weekends, cooking for only 2 becomes more of a burden...I have to admit NY Pizzeria is our good friend and the Chinese place in Cortland too...but that is only a once a week splurge on our salary so the rest of the time I'm trying to pull something out of my butt...so last night was perogies and hot dogs.
I feel weird that we still do mac and cheese out of the box and in someways a failure. But, what seems so easy for someone else to throw together is not for me...I try menus and such but I don't always have time for that or the energy to find new ways to make chicken or use ground beef. I do have a wonderful husband who takes his turn cooking too which is a blessing but I am even more insecure because I know he's better at it than I am.
I guess I still have these perceptions of what makes a good wife and cookings pretty much up there on the list and I'm pretty much not getting there.
1 comment:
my sister is a lousy cook, and her hubby does the main courses and she just does salads and stuff.
Robb's ability to cook, however, has completely atrophied, resulting in his eating chips and salsa for dinner if I leave him alone.
I'm a firm believer in the cheap and easy. When we lived in Boston, I did the cooking for a month gig: you spend one day making casseroles, etc. and freezing them up and then you clean up and go out for dinner! It does actually work and is pretty cheap. There's a whole book on it somewhere.
Fret not...you only do what you really have to do so when you have to, you will.
Post a Comment