Friday, May 30, 2008

Conspiracy Theory

I have decided there is a conspiracy going on surrounding mothers. I believe mothers band together and promise not to warn any one desiring to have a baby about teething because it would prevent the continuation of our species. In this unwritten agreement the tortures of this horrific event are kept under wraps until a new mother experiences it for themselves and then they are called in as part of the club.

I refuse to do so. I now proclaim to all who can hear that teething is a torturous event not only for the child but for the mother. Crying and pain are not only the experience for the baby. I would recommend ear plugs, a nanny, 6 pints of ice cream, chocolate and a vacation and maybe you'll get through it.

The child who once was sweet and lovely will become possessed and turn into a demon child who will not leave your side, stop screaming, or eat regularly. It will be a continual guessing game as to how to sooth the cry for you or the child. Your husband will not know what to do with either of you and you will end up calling and crying to your mommy.

Yes, I am making a satirical comment to keep my sanity. 4 top teeth coming in at once and being up every 2 hours at night again on top of a ton of house stuff, church stuff, and other stuff lead to a melt down call to my mom yesterday telling her I didn't sign up for this and asking if she would come get her grandson. I felt like a lousy mother, wife, and person in general...mostly because the lack of sleep has brought me to an exhausted and emotionally worn state. Kevin is in the midst of another seminary class and starting 2 new series at church on top of trying to get the garden in so I didn't want to burden him. After a cry with mom, a talk with Kevin, some ice cream, a bath, and a better night's sleep things aren't as bad but we'll see how today goes.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I confess, my babies did not fuss about teeth. Mattie had four before I even realized what was happening. But then again, she was a perfect baby who's clothes weren't even dirty at the end of the day.

However, my babies have ALL at some point driven me to tears...usually over potty training. You are NOT a bad mom. Bad moms eat their young. Good moms know their limits and call the game when they know bad weather is a-brewing in their emotional landscape. Good moms say, "I need a break." They are gonna cry one way or another, so you might as well take a break and get yourself together.

Hang in there...once he has all his teeth you can start trying to get him to put his pee pee where it is supposed to go....

Heidi said...

We are in the teething place right now. Josh has been the worst teether ever. I said last night I can't wait until he has them all.

Oh, and on the potty front, I found small brown smears on the bathroom wall last night. Its poop. Enough said.

akr said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I know every kid is different and it has gotten better...it's just that one day where you feel like ripping your hair out.

I am honestly not all that excited about the potty training thing...Kevin is convinced we can teach him as soon as he walks. I just nod, smile, and tell him he has no clue. I am going to have Kevin model for him and I am seriously thinking about painting a target at the bottom of the toilet.