Friday, June 04, 2010

Quiet Pens and Open Doors

I looked at the last entry in my blog and wondered again where the time has gone.  As I began to think about it one phrase came to mind...an open door.  Throughout my life, I have watched my parents continually open their doors to any who would want to pop in and stay awhile.  I loved having an extended family and the joy of fellowship.  I just did not realize how much it formed me into who I am today.

In my role as Youth Pastor's wife in Ohio, it would happen every so often.  However, it was mostly with our teens.  In Marathon it was usually family.  Since being here and living in the parsonage, this Pastor's wife has struggled with feeling as if I needed to have everything in place.  It was our members stopping by and it is the churches house, so I felt the pressure even more.

It was also simple when it was just Kevin and I, but now, with two kids, it has been a much more difficult task.  I was really nervous about having people over, afraid there may be a small cobweb somewhere that I had missed and or they may notice the dusting that I didn't get to.

But there came a point where I just had to face some truths.  My perfectionist tendencies could end up robbing me of opportunities to build relationships and share God's love.  My insecurities will rob God of what he has called me to do.  I had to get over it and be willing to open the door.  I still like my house cleaned and picked up but we live here.  There will be a stray toy or two and it is not the end of the world.  What is more important is making them feel welcome and comfortable...at home.

The last few weeks my door has been open.  There has been only a few days where someone has not stopped by or stayed.  I have come to relish and enjoy this time instead of stressing about how everything may not be exactly perfect.  It is the opportunities and the people that are of far more greater value.  I want my home to be a welcoming place in which people can come in, kick off their shoes, and relax.  If there is a cobweb or two, it will have to wait.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Awesome Amy. This has been on my heart and mind so much lately. I am actually in the middle of writing a series of articles on it for Raising Homemakers.