I sat in the room watching my daughter struggle to breath. Her voice was no longer audible. Her little body was racked with a deep wheezing cough. Soon the x-ray would show whether or not her lungs were clear. I held her hand as she struggled against the cold mist coming from the face mask, knowing she could not understand how it would help her.
At that moment, miles away, my mother stands by my grandmother's bedside as they remove her face mask. The tests have shown her heart can only function at a quarter of it's strength. Her body is giving out. Her consciousness is gone. She struggles to take her last breaths.
Mom calls me and asks me to sing to her over the phone. As I sing How Great Thou Art, I realizing this is my goodbye to my grandma. As my daughter's breathing begins to clear, I hold her hand tighter and know that as one life will soon end, another is just at the beginning.
So as my daughter recovers from croup and my family prepares to say goodbye I hold onto this:
1 comment:
Sending you love over the many miles we are apart now...knowing that our Dear Lord will hold and comfort you in a way that only he can. Take care dear friend.
Post a Comment