He is also very emotional and his meltdowns at times have left us worn.
One of our biggest times of struggle was of course Sunday during church. It seemed as if every Sunday there would be some kind of melt down over seemingly nothing.
We had been working to make sure he was getting sleep, had been watching both is sugar and red dye intake, and began to deal with seasonal allergy issues. Even with all of this he was still struggling. It came to the point where I was on my knees, crying out for God to help me know what I could do to help him.
I am naturally a reader and decided to try and get my hands on as much information as possible to try and figure out what kinds of things impact behavior and emotions. I had already been reading up on nutrition and it's impact on our bodies. I started to come across information about gluten and it's impact on some children's behavior.
As I began to evaluate Jack's diet I realized that the days surrounding his melt downs he consumed a high amount of gluten. His pediatrician did a blood test for celiacs but it came back negative. However, I just could not let go of the idea of trying to go gluten free.
I have to say first of all he has been a trooper. He does get bummed at times when he can't have something but for the most part I have been able to have other choices for him. He even has been to a few birthday parties where he can't have the cake and has handled it fine.
It has been amazing to see the difference since we have started. He is not perfect and does still have times where he is wiry or throws fits, but the intensity and amount has been reduced drastically. The times it does happen have also been very high allergen days or some other very explainable reason.
The amount of gluten free items in the average grocery story has definitely increased and that has also made it much easier a transition. We had also been changing our diet and had eliminated carbohydrates and focused on fresh fruits and vegetables. These factors really helped make a difference in the transition.
I am firmly convinced we have made the right choice. His teacher has confirmed the changes in behavior and I have seen first hand it's impact at home. He is great about knowing that he cannot have gluten and has been willing to try new things. We have also tried to keep some staples on hand like g-free sandwich bread so he can still have PB&J.
I am not a doctor, a nutritionist, or a scientist. I am a Mom who really tries to understand and help her kids. I do not say this is for everyone. I am just saying it worked for us. To me, it was worth trying for a few weeks to see if it made any difference and the difference I saw made it all worth it.
An added benefit still yet to come may be a return of his hair. There have been a few cases of those with Alopecia Areata going gluten free and seeing their hair return. I am not trying to get my hopes too high but I do see some hair coming in. It will be exciting to see if it will help. Again, it is worth trying if it will help!
So, we are just at the beginning of the process. It has been almost 8 weeks and we have had a few "oh no, that has gluten in it" moments but for the most part I am glad we did it. It takes more planning and creativity but I am proud of my son and the way he has handled it!
No comments:
Post a Comment