We were the quintessential newly married couple who decided to get a dog. Unbeknownst to me, that dog would prepare us for our kids. It is actually funny to see the parallels.
My first indication was when we got our cute little pup and could not agree on a name. It actually took consulting dog name websites to finally find one we agreed on, Kiah, with an obscure African meaning. This translated to scouring the name books and long discussions when it came to naming our kids. It resulted in both of our kids having multiple names to compromise.
For some reason, whenever I turned my vacuum, our labrador retriever would run and hide. All hopes of him being a good hunting dissipated at that moment. Now, whenever I run the vacuum my children run and hide. From the time Jack was little he was scared of the vacuum too and Emma does it just to follow what her brother does. I am not sure what that says about their futures as hunters.
Our pup also loved eating whatever she could find, especially off the floor. I received a note home a few months ago about my son eating bits of paper off the floor. Enough said.
On the eating front, it seemed like every time we turned around Kiah was eating us out of house and home. I thought we would hit that with the kids at sixteen. Not so much. At three and five, their favorite words are, "I'm hungry." They eat circles around us and I don't know where it all goes.
We could also talk about potty training...but you can make your own conclusions about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment