Monday, June 17, 2013

Girls Hairstyles for the Hairstyling Challenged

I will be the first to confess, to the chagrin of my dear mother, that I am a low maintenance girl when it comes to hair.  I am also styling impaired and my hand eye coordination is lacking.  The thought of having a little girl and having to do her hair fell somewhere between weeping and gnashing of teeth.

So when I began to heard compliments about how cute Emma's hair looked I at first was a little suspicious. But, the people that were telling me these things were trustworthy, so then I decided I must have gotten something right.

I have to confess.  Most of what I have learned has been out of necessity and because I am neurotic about some things.  My daughter's hair was getting longer which daddy loved but she was perpetually using it as a napkin which I did not love.  Giving three baths a day is not my idea of water conservation or the best way to spend my time, therefore I decided to get her hair out of her face and pulled up and maybe, just maybe, it would stay clean.

I am sure that there are more moms out there who feel like me than not.  So, I wanted to share some tips that have helped me to become a not too bad hairstylist (at least for my daughter, my hair is still the least of my worries)

First off, I have to say, everything I learned I found from other blogs and tutorials.  Pinterest is to blame for most of it.  I will never claim any of these things originate with me because as we have discussed, I am not that good.

You'll need a bit of money for the initial investment.  About $3-$4 will do.  Go to your dollar store and pick up:


  1. Spray bottle
  2. Tiny elastic hair ties - the little clear and/or black ones that come in packs of like 500 
  3. Rat tail comb
I know, I know, It's a lot to sacrifice but it is worth it.

Next, go to Pinterest.  There a ton of links to video tutorials and picture of really cute and easy hairstyles to copy.  There are also a ton of tutorial videos for those who are visual learners.  Yep, it's hard!  I know.  That Pinterest vortex is dangerous and you may come out with a few dozen cookie recipes and diy pallet projects but trust me, you can do it.

In general here's what I do:

  1. Find a way to entertain said child while she is sitting in front of you.  I recommend Disney Junior but have resorted to iPhone apps when needed.
  2. Wet down her hair (or give her a bath first) with the spray bottle filled with water and a tiny bit of conditioner. This is another Pinterest DIY for make your own detangle spray.
  3. Use the rat tail comb to part her hair in sections.  How many sections will depend on what picture your copying.  I often part it down the middle and then do three sections on each side.
  4. Secure each section with the elastic ties. These are great because when it is time to take them out you can just break them.  They really are not a reusable item.




No comments: