Shame. The word emanates its meaning. It fills us, weighs us down, and destroys our hope. It is a virus that leaches onto our joy and transforms it into contempt. It lies to the deepest part of ourselves with words that ring with just a bit of truth. It carries the weight of a thousand guilts and the darkness of cold tomb. It belies our dreams and entwines our thoughts. It is out to destroy.
I have this malady. It has encompassed much of my life. In the recesses of my soul I hear it whisper as it slowly squeezes the breath from my joy. I was so familiar with it's voice that I did not recognize it for what it was, a lie.
Well, I have declared war. I have chosen to stand and fight. I will no longer sit silent, enslaved by what can only destroy me.
As I go to battle I begin to see how much it has entrenched itself in who I am. What grieves me most is when I discovered I was projecting that shame on the next generation, my beloved children.
This morning as my son struggled I spoke shame instead of grace. I sought to manipulate his behavior and bring him into this prison with me. I instinctively went to it. Moments after my heart broke. I saw what I had done and I grieved. I don't want him to live with those lies. I hope the chance to show him grace will redeem the shame I sought to pour on him.
It again shows me God's grace. It shows me how much he mourns for me as I live in the shame. It breaks his heart far more because He died to free me from it.
No comments:
Post a Comment