Tuesday, September 21, 2010

S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G

One of the biggest lessons I learned from running cross country and track in high school was the importance of stretching.  It was not something to be taken lightly.  We took time to stretch both before and after a run because both were essential.  It was important to prepare the muscles for the run but also to continue to take care of them by stretching after the run.  If time wasn't taken to stretch well, or certain muscles were ignored, the impact was evident the next morning.  It needed to be a priority.

Somehow I failed to remember the importance of stretching until I started running again.  The interesting thing is once you start to work on one part of your life, the impact is felt on many parts of your life.  Running has been a lesson in discipline and stretching for me.  It has helped me to put things in to better priority and create a greater balance in my life.  It has taught me once again to push myself in ways I have avoided.

So, here I am...making tutus, baking pies, and of course throwing together a batch or two of cookies after dinner.
You may say, what's the big deal?  Well, to be honest, tulle has always pretty much terrified me.  I have fought against the perceived notion of overgirlyness.  Yet, because of this beautiful girl, the table has turned.  I love her and look forward to making things for her...


I am also intimidated by baking.  It may be my perfectionism or my many failures but I get very apprehensive when it comes to baking something.  However, I love my husband and desire to share that love with yummy snacks.


I never really played house, pretended to be a mommy, or dreamed of someday having my own little house and being a stay at home mom.  Yet, this is where God has led me and I am so thankful for all God has given me.

Therefore, I seek to stretch myself.  I am trying things that may naturally intimidate me.  I am looking outside the box of my comfort zone to become a better and more well rounded person.  Who knows, maybe I'll even ask for a sewing machine for Christmas and try to make a quilt...

No comments: