I cannot say it was my first official race because of the races I ran in high school and college. However, it was my first race outside of academia. Needless to say, upon entering the registration line, I was intimidated! I saw quite a few people looking much more professionally garbed than I and seeming to have it all together. My knees were quaking!
Having only been on the running horse for about 2 months, I had no illusions of trophies or amazing times. My one and only goal was to run the whole race. I did not want to stop and walk. To me that would mean defeat. I have to say that having my sister beside me (and often just in front of me), really helped to motivate me to keep going even when I was feeling tired and aching all over. She even helped me push myself to the finish line. We ended up coming in 47th (Mel) and 50th (Me) out of 86 women who ran the 5k.
The bear is a shout out to my brother who could not be there at the race!
But one of the best parts of the race was knowing that my family was there cheering me on. My Dad even shouted like we were back in high school running cross country! It meant a lot to have them there!
I am looking forward to continuing my running program and entering more 5k's. It has been sort of a coming home...finding myself doing something I forgot that I enjoyed.




1 comment:
congrats on ur 5k lady :) so glad to see you are out having fun outside of mommy/wifey-hood lol....wish i could get into something, i think it would be a great escape to just be by urself for a minute lol....looks like you had fun and i just love the pic of you and ur kiddos together! :) love n miss ya bunches!
Post a Comment