Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tutus Part Two - The Lowdown on Tutu making

As I have stated previously, I am not a seamstress and actually pretty much have a phobia towards sewing machines due to a bad experience with a plaid skirt in Jr. High Home Ec. class.  So, finding a non-sewing tutu pattern was glorious.


I found this really helpful link: Tutu Pattern and adapted the idea from a video FYI to use ribbon.  I used 5 yards of tulle cut into 2 in. strips and then layered 3 to 5 on top of each other and is super fluffy.  I also took the time to cut the ends of the tulle at angles to add a little more detail.

I loved the idea of 2 shades of pink and some green to make it fairy like.  I am hoping to use it as part of her Halloween costume.  It was so super easy to make, I am looking forward to making another one for her soon.  The next one will probably a littler less puffy.  I may also use elastic next time.

The other bonus is the cost.  I found the tulle at Walmart for $1.17 a yard (there were some tulle that was under a dollar but I loved these colors).  The elastic was less than a dollar and the ribbon I had in my craft things.  It was just a bunch of cutting and tying for under $8.00!  (I looked on Etsy to find one for her birthday pics, but they were a little more pricey).

I will definitely have some pictures of her wearing them soon!!!

No comments: