Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Fight Begins

I have begun the battle with my garden. I planted a herb garden last year but by the end of the summer and due to being in the 3rd trimester, I didn't weed it as well. I had some herbs but it was not pretty. So today, I grabbed a hoe and went to work attacking the soil and rooting up the start of the weeds. This resulted in a broken blister on one hand, a forming of one on the other, and a deep sense of satisfaction that I was able to clear out around the little herbs that are returning. I also have started some in peat pots to expand the fun. I like to supply my chef neighbor with some to use for experimentation at his little resturant.

Jack spent part of the time "helping" dad with gutter repair and then hung out in his stroller by me. I am looking forward to him being able to enjoy the outdoors this summer. We have a great backyard that will be a place for many adventures as he grows.

The other little task is starting to landscape. Last year we wanted to see what was going to come up before we did anything. Now I am starting to get some ideas for improvements. There are some bushes that need to be ripped out and I am hoping we can replace them. I also want to plant some flowers. My biggest project is going to be creating a lavender bed. I love lavender and really want to cultivate a bunch of it. My starter plants are growing well but I may end up buy a few from the nursery as well.

I am just glad to be outside. I will keep posting the progress. I will try to get some pics of the "before" so I can compare.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I look at my flower and garden beds and sigh. I'd like to get out there, but have that 3rd trimester thing going on = ) Maybe my mom will do some planting and pruning while she's here...