I am a very nervous, problem ridden, and timid baker. I do not enjoy sticky hands and messy counters. I try so hard to get all the measurements right and still things flop. So, making homemade bread has indimidated me.
However, today I felt brave and ambitious. I don't know what hit me but I wanted to conquer the task...baking whole wheat bread from scratch and without a bread machine. I was going to do it.
I discovered that the combining and kneading was easier and quite honestly more enjoyable than I thought it would be. It was a great stress relief to knead the bread. It was nice to be able to just let it sit and rise while I took care of other things around the house. It was wonderful to have my house smell of baked bread. It was delectable to have a warm slice with raspberry jam. They did not turn out completely perfect but they are definitely a good start.
I may next conquer cinnamon rolls...right now I will revel in my domesticated success.
4 comments:
Nice job!
Baking bread is one of my favorite kitchen chores.
And if you are serious about trying cinnamon rolls, then you HAVE to try the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls.
(I linked to the recipe on my blog earlier this week.)
My mom's sisters own a catering business, and they have been making delicious cinnamon rolls for years. However, the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls put my family's recipe to shame.
They are absolutely and without a doubt the BEST. Ever.
Try them. I dare you!
When I was growing up there was a neighbor lady who used to make bread and bring some to us....with butter and strawberry jam. I can still taste it....
Your post reminded me of the simple wonder of really good bread....
I saw your FB remarks about baking bread... love this post. I might even consider making some bread (maybe next week??)
I am not much of a baker either... my sister is the gifted baker in our family... BUT I did make the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls (twice!!) and they are delightful...just make sure you have some friends in mind to deliver some to... it makes a HUGE batch!
Post a Comment