Friday, October 13, 2006

Job like Jacob?

I got this from Michael Card's Devotional e-mail and it was so powerful Iwanted to share.

The Life of Lament

1Then the LORD said to Job, 2"Do you still want to argue with the Almighty? You are God's critic, but do you have the answers?" 3Then Job replied to the LORD, 4"I am nothing--how could I ever find the answers? I will put my hand over my mouth in silence. 5I have said too much already. I have nothing more to say."
Job 40:1-5 NLT

The two of them have come to the end of their wrestling match. Job, like Jacob, had struggled with the Lord, trying to understand how a God of hesed could have allowed himself, an innocent man, to suffer so.

Job had been forced to fight with his own friends as well. As you read this novel of lament, you sense that their long theological discourses were more painful for Job than the final confrontation with the God of unanswerable questions.

Most people miss the miracle of Job. They are too caught up in matters of right or wrong. But Job is not about being right, it is about being faithful. In the end the miracle is that the God who was seated on the throne in chapter one has come down. He has been moved by Job's tears.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

where can I get this devotional? hook me up girl!