Friday, October 30, 2009

My Little Teaching Assignment

So, I have a little side job. I say little because it's only 2 hours once a week. I meet with 4 high school girls who are homeschooled and teach a writing class with them.

Sometimes it makes my Fridays super crazy because I still am commited to taking Jack to story time as well, but I walk away each time energized. It challanges me to be creative, especially as I have no specific curriculum to follow. It helps me to pass along my love for sharing stories. It connects me with high school kids I normally would never get to know. It gives me an outlet and something to work on besides homemaking.

I really have come to enjoy the girls I am teaching. I missed all my "kids" when I left CCA and this gives me a chance to build some new relationships with some great girls. It's cool to be able not only to encourage them with writing, but to challange them about life as well. I remember many a convo in my classroom at CCA and it was hard not to have that so it's cool to have the possibility of some of those life conversations that sort of bless and challange you.

It also helps they can put more than 4 words together in a sentence so I can have deeper conversations than, "yes, that is a pickle" or "please keep your pants on". I love being a mom and yet I am very thankful to in a unqiue way to still be able to be a teacher.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I entered a classroom for the first time in like...11 years on Wednesday to help with Mattie's Gifted and Talented class. I am subbing there next Thursday. I know exactly what you are saying...It was amazing to think, "HEY! I know how to do this!"