Friday, October 16, 2009

What's in a name

I always thought when it came to naming children, it would be simple...I have a few names I favored and you would just know...

I found out the first time around it was not as easy as I thought but I ended up being very happy with Jack's name and it's significance using family names.

Then we found out we were having a girl and I thought, "a girl, so much easier". Again, not so easy...especially when you have two people's opinions to consider. I really have struggled with feeling like I love the names we were talking about.

I have loved the name Emma for a long time and didn't realize until yesterday how much I had sold Kevin on it. Kevin has really wanted to use Amelia as a middle name in memory of his cousin that passed and a friend's wife that passed.

I really struggled with the two names together - Emma Amelia. I wanted the name to flow simply. We went back and forth on various options and other names but still have kept coming back to Emma and Amelia.

Then came the idea for compromise...using 2 middle names. So, I played around with a few names and both of us like: Emma Rose Amelia Radford. A little bit of a mouthful but I really like it. Yet, I still have this little fear in my heart putting it out there...she's going to be stuck with this name for life. We may change our minds as we get closer, but I think we are finally settling on a path...

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh, Amy! I LOVE it! I really, really do. It is a very classic and beautiful name. If you are really nervous about the two middle name thing, you could always do Emma-Rose Amelia Radford or Emmarose Amelia Radford. or something lol. But I love it! It flows so beautifully and is so feminine. {grin}

Rieses Pieces said...

Beautiful Amy-We are still making our list for little "Sweet Pea!"
You could always combine Emma and Amelia and call her Emmalia Rose! Take a poll on your blog of 3 names for her...so much fun! Can't wait to hear the big news! Hope the last month and 1/2 goes well for you!

Sara said...

Well, Ellie is stuck with Eleanor for the rest of her life...she will probably get teased by someone for sure and we've gotten a lot of "our you crazy" kind of looks but it means something to us and I trust that she will grow to appreciate the beauty of her name.

And I love the name! Emma is simply beautiful and teachers rarely use the whole name in a class setting...