Sunday, August 06, 2006

Why isn't the church more like camp?

I struggle with church. That is probably a shocking statement from a good little Baptist girl. So, let me explain. I grew up at camp - literally. No, not just going one week each summer - I lived there. Most of the kids I grew up with said I was lucky and I'd have to agree with them. You see, camp is in my blood...I love it!

Yet, with my good little bible college education I learned about the God ordained institution called the church. That was ok with me but it was hard to reconcile my feelings for camp versa my feelings about church. If church was a God ordained institution why in the world am I enjoying camp so much more? Why do I see more results coming from camp than the local church? Why are kids more excited about camp than Sunday School? Don't get me wrong...I don't hate the church. In fact for awhile my husband was a pastor. But, the logic of it all does not connect. So, I decided to look at why I like camp more.

What makes camp so powerful? What things about camp make it so impacting? I came up with an interesting list. AT camp you see real fellowship because people are authentic. They find rest and restoration because they are away from the distractions around them. They find fellowship with other believers and accountability as they are challenged by the word. They also have fun together which makes their bonds stronger. Spiritual growth takes place as people rub elbows with each other, spurring each other on. A sense of community develops from the shared experiences and real relationships that are forged.

I look at this list and compare it to what God calls the church to be and it fits many of the guidelines - this is not to say that camp is a church or that churches should be held at a campground. My point is that camp is doing what should be found in the local church. It seems as if there are organizations rising up to fulfill the God given responsibilities of the church because they are failing to do it. What would it take for a church to be a place of authenticity where those who are in the fight can come and find rest and be a part of a community, to have strong bonds through shared experiences, and even fun? I am not saying camp should not exist but calling for the church to be what God has called them to be and maybe much more would be accomplished.

Do churches have some of these qualities - absolutely. Is it meeting the needs of those around them-maybe. Is a a community that culture growth, creates fun, and offers rest? That is the question to be asked. The church is highly valued to be referred to as the bride of Christ but what is the bride doing to prepare for her groom and what is she leaving up to those outside the wedding party to meet needs?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know for a fact that if somebody cooked all my meals and did all my dishes, I would definitely grow spiritually. : )

good thoughts ...we're trying to think this way about VF